Alere BinaxNOW® RSV Test Card is an in vitro rapid immunochromatographic assay used to detect respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) fusion protein antigen in nasal wash and nasopharyngeal (NP) swab specimens from symptomatic patients. It is intended to aid in the diagnosis of RSV infections in patients under the age of 5.
RSV is the most common cause of severe respiratory illness in young children. The BinaxNOW® RSV Card is one of the easiest tests to run on the market today and helps reduce the spread of infection. Sample Type: Nasal wash, Nasopharyngeal swab.
Features and Benefits
- ACTIONABLE: Valuable information can be obtained before hospital admission to help control the spread of RSV infections
- FAST: Results available in just 15 minutes
- EASY: Requires limited hands-on time
- RELIABLE: Provides highly accurate results and includes built-in controls
- CONVENIENT: Can be used with either nasal wash or nasopharyngeal swab samples
- REASSURING: Parents can be given critical care instructions before leaving the pediatrician’s office
- EFFICIENT: Can be used alongside Alere BinaxNOW® Influenza A&B Card using the same patient sample
What is RSV?
Respiratory syncytial (sin-SISH-uhl) virus, or RSV, is a common respiratory virus that usually causes mild, cold-like symptoms. Most people recover in a week or two, but RSV can be serious, especially for infants and older adults. RSV is the most common cause of bronchiolitis (inflammation of the small airways in the lung) and pneumonia (infection of the lungs) in children younger than 1 year of age in the United States.
Alternative RSV test, QUIDEL® QuickVue® Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) Test is available here.
More information about RSV is available at the CDC-Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.