The QuickVue RSV Test is a dipstick immunoassay that detects respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) antigen (viral fusion protein) directly from nasopharyngeal swab, nasopharyngeal aspirate, or nasal/nasopharyngeal wash specimens for symptomatic pediatric patients (eighteen years of age and younger).
Features and Benefits
- Dipstick: Easy to use, approx. 30 seconds to 1 minute hands-on time
- Results in 15 minutes: Test and treat in the same office visit
- One reagent: Fewer steps, easy to perform, requires minimal training
- Two-color result: Easy to read and interpret
- 3 step procedure: Easy to use, fewer procedural errors
- Quick Reference Instructions: Clear and simple illustrations to guide the RSV test procedure and interpretation of result
- All components included in kit: Ready to use, no need for additional equipment
- Internal controls included: Provides verification of test strip functional integrity, increasing confidence in results
- External controls included: Facilitates internal laboratory quality control
- Room temperature storage: No refrigerator space needed. No need to wait for reagents to warm up. Rapid RSV tests can be run immediately as needed
ref: QUI 20193
What is RSV?
Respiratory syncytial (sin-SISH-uhl) virus, or RSV, is a common respiratory virus that usually causes mild, cold-like symptoms. Most people recover in a week or two, but RSV can be serious, especially for infants and older adults. RSV is the most common cause of bronchiolitis (inflammation of the small airways in the lung) and pneumonia (infection of the lungs) in children younger than 1 year of age in the United States.
More information about RSV is available at the CDC-Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.