Drug testing is a great way to keep workplaces safe and have high employee productivity. In addition to caring for the health of their workers, employers also have a responsibility to keep the workplace safe. Since drug use in the workplace is considered a serious threat to workplace safety and overall productivity, it is up to the employers to ensure that workers are doing their jobs in a drug-free and safe workspace.
Drug Testing and its Significance
Drug-related accidents and health problems in America alone cost businesses 400 billion dollars every year, which makes drug testing an important safety and economic implementation step in the workplace.
There are several ways to detect drug use at work, including urinalysis, blood tests, and breath analysis. But the most common method is urine testing, which can detect recent use within a few days. Currently, other modes of drug testing, such as breath analysis and saliva swab analysis, have some traction due to less intrusive sampling.
How Drug Testing Keeps the Work Environment Safe
Drug tests can detect substances such as alcohol, cocaine, cannabis, and opiates. It is a cost-effective way for employers to keep workplaces safe. In addition, drug test results can be used to identify employees who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol and help them seek treatment.
A study published in Science Direct indicates the evidence of the effectiveness of testing in improving workplace safety. This research solidified the relationship between regular drug screening programs and reduced workplace accident or injury rates. Such tests ensure workplace safety by:
- Keeping employees in check. Regular screening ensures no employee is abusing any drug safety policy of the company.
- Determining if employees have an addiction problem.
- Preventing employees from driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Preventing accidents, improving productivity, and reducing the risk of workplace injuries.
- Keeping sober employees safe from workplace injuries and harm.
- Identifying any potential problems with workers’ health or safety.
According to a study, over 10% of workplace injuries involve alcohol in the United States. The risk of injuries and fatalities was found to be higher in the work environment with substance abuse and a significant drop was detected in offices which maintained a drug-free environment.
Takeaway: Drug Testing is an important part of making sure that workplaces are safe for all.
Setting up a Drug Testing Policy
Drug testing can be used to enforce company policies, such as no-drugs-or-alcohol policies or other rules that employees must follow to keep working. There are many ways that drug testing can be used in an organization including:
- Pre-Employment Drug Testing
- Accident/Incident Drug Testing
- Reasonable Suspicion Drug Testing
- Random Drug Testing
- Post-Rehabilitation Drug Testing
Because drug tests are the only way to keep employees in check for their drug abuse, it is important for offices and workplaces to implement a drug testing policy. It is advised to use the services of a legal consultant. Some useful guidelines to developing a drug testing policy follow:
- The first step is setting clear expectations and goals.
- The next step is to have a reliable drug testing process.
- A promising drug testing process should have backup systems in place.
- A good drug testing process may be based on single or multiple tests throughout employment.
- Employers should also partner with a medical review officer who can interpret the test results.
Services at DrugTestKitUSA
Drug testing is a time-tested way to help ensure a sober and safe workplace environment. More companies are opting to establish a drug testing program. Onsite drug test kits are popular due to rapid results and decreased costs. They allow identification of employees that are presumed positive and a potential risk to other employees and the workplace. These employees can be placed on leave while their samples are sent for lab confirmation. Employees with negative results can continue working.
DrugTestKitUSA provides products and services for onsite drug testing for companies looking to establish a safe and drug-free work environment. They provide fast, accurate, and easy-to-use drug test kits at reasonable prices all across America. DTKUSA offers drug test kits for urine analysis as well as quick and easy saliva analysis of a wide range.