You may wonder, “What is a drug-free workplace?” or “Why am I making my company drug-free?” While there are different reasons for a business to implement an anti-drug policy, the outcome of this decision can have a dramatic effect on how well your business operates, especially when it comes to employee productivity. But what is a drug-free workplace? What are the benefits of implementing such a policy? In this article, we will discuss the importance of having such a policy and its merits.
A drug-free workplace is an employment setting where all employees must follow the rule of abstaining from illicit drug and alcohol use. This includes drugs that pose a substantial risk to a person’s health and behavior. It may also include alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs.
According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Organization, drug-free workplace programs address the illicit use of drugs at work and help to establish a sober and productive working environment for employees.
A Comprehensive Workplace Policy
A drug-free workplace policy is a key component of any successful business. It is a set of rules and regulations that are designed to help protect your employees, customers, and guests from the dangers that drugs can pose in the workplace. An attorney, specializing in employment law, is of great value in crafting a comprehensive workplace policy.
Drug-free workplace policies are also known as zero-tolerance policies, as they require employers to have zero tolerance toward drug use by their employees or guests. These policies are not intended to be punitive; rather, they serve as a way for employers to ensure the safety of their employees and guests by discouraging drug use on their premises.
- States the purpose of the policy. This explains the commitment of the company to the safety, health, and careers of its employees
- Provides the list of all the prohibited substances and behaviors
- Establishes a drug testing program to implement the drug-free workplace policy
- Explains the consequences for violating the policy
A drug-free workplace policy provides businesses with an advantage over their competition by taking steps to ensure their employees are healthy and safe during their employment. Benefits to your business by establishing a comprehensive workplace policy follow:
- Reduces accidents and errors, increasing productivity
- Reduces health care costs
- Saves money on workers’ compensation claims and related litigation
- Improves attendance and reduces absenteeism
- Improves the overall environment of a company
- Improves the company’s reputation in the market
Business owners see many benefits when they implement a comprehensive anti-drug program. Ultimately, we all benefit from a drug-free workplace policy.
According to a study, 1 in every 11 workers in the US (9% of the total workforce) struggled with a substance or alcohol use disorder in the past 12 months. Drug testing is a powerful tool that can help prevent or deter employees from abusing drugs. Drug testing workplace policies are more common than ever before, and many companies have implemented them for safety reasons. Employers can use drug testing to:
- Prevent employees from engaging in prohibited behavior while on the job
- Detect drug use among employees, and potentially assist them in finding treatment
- Determine if there is a substance abuse problem among your employees
- Evaluate the effectiveness of your anti-drug policy
A drug-free workplace policy ensures that a company will have a safe and productive work environment. Drug testing can verify that employees are not affected by illicit substances in the workplace. By establishing this type of policy, companies are able to reduce the risk of loss from errors, injuries, compensations, and damage to the company’s reputation.
To establish and evaluate a drug-free workplace policy, companies implement different types of drug testing, including pre-employment, random, and post-accident testing. DrugTestKitUSA provides companies with drug testing kits that are accurate, easy to operate, and cost-effective. DrugTestKitUSA has a wide variety of drug test kits to choose from according to a company’s needs and requirements. Drug testing is key for companies that establish a comprehensive anti-drug policy, which ultimately benefits the business, the employees, and the whole community.